Quality of Life… We Like Living Here… You will To.
Franklin County provides a broad spectrum of educational opportunities ranging from pre-school through post-secondary.
The County is served by six public school districts, the Franklin County Career & Technology Center, three colleges/universities, and a satellite location of the Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC). Franklin County is also home to the prestigious Mercersburg Academy as well as other private institutions. Franklin County is within a two hour drive of Penn State University (University Park), one hour drive of the HACC main campus, and one-half hour drive from Gettysburg College and Dickinson College. In addition, the Hagerstown, MD Community College (HCC), Kaplan College of Hagerstown, MD, Mount St. Mary’s University, and The University System of Maryland at Hagerstown are within a 15 minute drive of Franklin County.
Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education
Colleges and Universities
- Shippensburg University (rated Top 100 of America’s Best Regional Universities (North) by US News and World Report)
- Penn State University Mont Alto Campus (rated Top 50 America’s Best National Universities 2015 by US News and World Report)
- Wilson College (rated Top 15 of America’s Best Regional Colleges (North) by US News and World Report)
- Franklin County Career & Technology Center Practical Nursing Program
Source: US News and World Report, Americas Best College’s 2017
Franklin County boasts an extremely low crime rate across all categories of offenses. In 2015, the crime rate was 1.8% per 100,000 people.
Source: The Pennsylvania State Police, Uniform Crime Reporting System, Annual Uniform Crime Report
Franklin County offers a wide range of affordable housing opportunities.
- Median Value of owner occupied housing was estimated at $173,400
- 64,325 total estimated housing units
- $1,345 average monthly ownership costs (with mortgage)
- Median Household Income was estimated to be $53,916
- Per Capita Personal Income was estimated to be $26,025
Source: US Census Bureau, Franklin County, Pennsylvania “Quick Facts”, December 2015
Summit Health is highly recognized as a cost effective, high-quality healthcare system. Summit Health is the parent company to:
258 bed acute and critical care facitlity providing diagnostic, behavioral health, and surgical services with 24-hour emergency room service
56 bed full service diagnostic and therapeutic center, providing acute and critical care services including diagnostic, therapeutic, and surgical services with 24-hour emergency room service
Summit recently opened a new $16 million medical office building adjacent to the Waynesboro Hospital. Additionally, Summit operates two urgent care centers and two walk-in care centers.
In addition to Summit Health, Franklin County is also served by Keystone Health, a federally qualified Community Health Center. Keystone employs 330 healthcare professionals. Visit www.keystonehealth.org for additional information.
Chambersburg and Waynesboro Hospitals are supported by a broad network of Board Certified Physicians operating several outpatient and medical clinics. Finally, the nationally recognized Johns Hopkins and the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Centers are within 75 miles.