Quality of Life…We Like Living Here…You will To.
Franklin County provides a broad spectrum of educational opportunities ranging from pre-school through post-secondary.
The County is served by six public school districts, the Franklin County Career & Technology Center, three colleges/universities, and a satellite location of the Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC). Franklin County is also home to the prestigious Mercersburg Academy as well as other private institutions. Franklin County is within a two hour drive of Penn State University (University Park), one hour drive of the HACC main campus, and one-half hour drive from Gettysburg College and Dickinson College. In addition, the Hagerstown, MD Community College (HCC), Kaplan College of Hagerstown, MD, Mount St. Mary’s University, and The University System of Maryland at Hagerstown are within a 15 minute drive of Franklin County.
Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education, 2011-2012 Public School Enrollment Projections
Colleges and Universities
- Shippensburg University (rated one of America’s Best Regional Universities (North) by US News and World Report)
- Penn State University Mont Alto Campus (rated Top 50 America’s Best National Universities 2015 by US News and World Report)
- Wilson College (rated Top 20 of America’s Best Regional Colleges (North) by US News and World Report)
Source: US News and World Report, Americas Best College’s 2016
Franklin County boasts an extremely low crime rate across all categories of offenses. In 2013, the crime rate was 2.1% per 100,000 people.
Source: The Pennsylvania State Police, Uniform Crime Reporting System, Annual Uniform Crime Report
Franklin County offers a wide range of affordable housing opportunities.
- Median Value of owner occupied housing was estimated at $174,300
- 64,125 total estimated housing units
- Median Household Income was estimated to be $52,386
- Per Capita Personal Income was estimated to be $25,540
Source: US Census Bureau, Franklin County, Pennsylvania “Quick Facts”, December 2015
Summit Health is highly recognized as a cost effective, high-quality healthcare system. Summit Health is the parent company to:
248 bed acute and critical care facitlity providing diagnostic, behavioral health, and surgical services with 24-hour emergency room service
Chambersburg Hospital has recently completed an aggressive $100 Million expansion project that resulted in the construction of 171 new private patient rooms and a new cardiac catheterization suite. The expansion incorporates some of the most state-of-the-art technology available in healthcare today
56 bed full service diagnostic and therapeutic center, providing acute and critical care services including diagnostic, therapeutic, and surgical services with 24-hour emergency room service
In 2015 Summit opened a new $16 million medical office building adjacent to the Waynesboro Hospital and a new urgent care clinic located at the intersection of Walker Road and Norland Avenue in Chamberburg.
In addition to Summit Health, Franklin County is also served by Keystone Health, a federally qualified Community Health Center. Keystone employs 330 healthcare professionals. Visit www.keystonehealth.org for additional information.
- Chambersburg Hospital Cardiac Catheterization Lab received the “Platinum Performance Achievement” from ACTION-Registry
- Waynesboro Hospital received the “Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award” from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
- Both hospitals were recognized by VHA for outstanding Partnership for Patients
Chambersburg and Waynesboro Hospitals are supported by a broad network of Board Certified Physicians operating several outpatient and medical clinics. Finally, the nationally recognized Johns Hopkins and the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Centers are within 75 miles. Click here to view 2015 Summit Health Annual Report.