Quality of Life
Franklin County provides a broad spectrum of educational opportunities ranging from pre-school through post-secondary.
The County is served by six public school districts, the Franklin County Career & Technology Center, three colleges/universities, and a satellite location of the Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC). Franklin County is also home to the prestigious Mercersburg Academy as well as other private institutions. Franklin County is within a two hour drive of Penn State University (University Park), one hour drive of the HACC main campus, and one-half hour drive from Gettysburg College and Dickinson College. In addition, the Hagerstown, MD Community College (HCC), Kaplan College of Hagerstown, MD, Mount St. Mary’s University, and The University System of Maryland at Hagerstown are within a 15 minute drive of Franklin County.
Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education, 2011-2012 Public School Enrollment Projections
Colleges and Universities
- Shippensburg University (rated Top 100 of America’s Best Colleges 2013 (Tier 1 North) by US News and World Report)
- Penn State University Mont Alto Campus (rated Top 50 America’s Best National Colleges 2013 by US News and World Report)
- Wilson College (rated Top 20 of America’s Best Colleges 2013 (Tier 1 North) by US News and World Report)
Franklin County boasts an extremely low crime rate across all categories of offenses. In 2011, the crime rate was 1.8% per 100,000 people.
Source: The Pennsylvania State Police, Uniform Crime Reporting System, Annual Uniform Crime Report, Offenses Reported By County 2011
Franklin County offers a wide range of affordable housing opportunities.
- 2011 Median Value of owner occupied housing was estimated at $172,500
- 63,859 total estimated housing units
- 6,860 total estimated vacant housing units
Source: US Census Bureau, American Fact Finder, American Community Survey, Selected Housing Characteristics 2011 Estimates
(2010 Inflation Adjusted Dollars)
- 2011 Median Household Income was estimated to be $49,068
- 2011 Per Capita Personal Income was estimated to be $23,649
Source: US Census Bureau, American Fact Finder, American Community Survey, Selected Economic Characteristics 2010
Summit Health is highly recognized as a cost effective, high-quality healthcare system. Summit Health is the parent company to:
- Chambersburg Hospital
248 bed acute and critical care facitlity providing diagnostic, behavioral health, and surgical services with 24-hour emergency room service
Chambersburg Hospital has recently completed an aggressive $100 Million expansion project that resulted in the construction of 171 new private patient rooms and a new cardiac catheterization suite. The expansion incorporates some of the most state-of-the-art technology available in healthcare today
- Waynesboro Hospital
64 bed full service diagnostic and therapeutic center, providing acute and critical care services, and surgical services with 24-hour emergency room
- Chambersburg Hospital received the 5-Star Community Award for lower costs, lower charges and high quality patient care. The award was presented by Cleverley and Associates.
- Chambersburg Hospital received United Healthcare’s Gold Star II Award for the hospital’s successful infection control program
- Waynesboro Hospital was ranked among the Top 10% in the U.S. for Outstanding Patient Experience by HealthGrades
- Waynesboro Hospital was recognized as the most recommended hospital in the region according to patient satisfaction scores reported by the federal government
Chambersburg and Waynesboro Hospitals are supported by a broad network of Board Certified Physicians operating several outpatient and medical clinics. Finally, the nationally recognized Johns Hopkins and the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Centers are within 75 miles.