Quality of Life
Franklin County provides a broad spectrum of educational opportunities ranging from pre-school through post-secondary.
The County is served by six public school districts, the Franklin County Career & Technology Center, three colleges/universities, and a satellite location of the Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC). Franklin County is also home to the prestigious Mercersburg Academy as well as other private institutions. Franklin County is within a two hour drive of Penn State University (University Park), one hour drive of the HACC main campus, and one-half hour drive from Gettysburg College and Dickinson College. In addition, the Hagerstown, MD Community College (HCC), Kaplan College of Hagerstown, MD, Mount St. Mary’s University, and The University System of Maryland at Hagerstown are within a 15 minute drive of Franklin County.
Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education, 2011-2012 Public School Enrollment Projections
Colleges and Universities
- Shippensburg University (rated Top 100 of America’s Best Regional Universities (North) by US News and World Report)
- Penn State University Mont Alto Campus (rated Top 50 America’s Best National Universities 2015 by US News and World Report)
- Wilson College (rated Top 20 of America’s Best Regional Colleges 2015 (North) by US News and World Report)
Source: US News and World Report, Americas Best College’s 2015
Franklin County boasts an extremely low crime rate across all categories of offenses. In 2013, the crime rate was 2.1% per 100,000 people.
Source: The Pennsylvania State Police, Uniform Crime Reporting System, Annual Uniform Crime Report, Offenses Reported By County 2013
Franklin County offers a wide range of affordable housing opportunities.
- 2013 Median Value of owner occupied housing was estimated at $176,900
- 63,781 total estimated housing units
- 4,636 total estimated vacant housing units
Source: US Census Bureau, 2013 American Community Survey, Selected Housing Characteristics, December 2014
(2013 Inflation Adjusted Dollars)
- 2013 Median Household Income was estimated to be $52,386
- 2013 Per Capita Personal Income was estimated to be $25,656
Source: US Census Bureau, American Fact Finder, American Community Survey, Selected Economic Characteristics 3-year estimates, December 2014
Summit Health is highly recognized as a cost effective, high-quality healthcare system. Summit Health is the parent company to:
248 bed acute and critical care facitlity providing diagnostic, behavioral health, and surgical services with 24-hour emergency room service
Chambersburg Hospital has recently completed an aggressive $100 Million expansion project that resulted in the construction of 171 new private patient rooms and a new cardiac catheterization suite. The expansion incorporates some of the most state-of-the-art technology available in healthcare today
56 bed full service diagnostic and therapeutic center, providing acute and critical care services including diagnostic, therapeutic, and surgical services with 24-hour emergency room service
In 2015 Summit will open a new $16 million medical office building adjacent to the Waynesboro Hospital and a new urgent care clinic located at the intersection of Walker Road and Norland Avenue in Chamberburg.
In addition to Summit Health, Franklin County is also served by Keystone Health, a federally qualified Community Health Center. Keystone employs 330 healthcare professionals. Visit www.keystonehealth.org for additional information.
- Chambersburg Hospital received the “Platinum Performance Achievement” award from the American College of Cardiology for exceptional care for heart attack patients
- Chambersburg Hospital and Waynesboro Hospitals earn “Primary Stroke Center Certification” from the American Heart Association, the American Stroke Association and the Joint Commission
- Waynesboro Hospital received the “Guardian of Excellence” award from Price Ganey Associates for performance in patient satisfaction
- Waynesboro Hospital received the “Patient Care Excellence” award from VHA Mid-Atlantic for extraordinary patient safety and clinical performance
Chambersburg and Waynesboro Hospitals are supported by a broad network of Board Certified Physicians operating several outpatient and medical clinics. Finally, the nationally recognized Johns Hopkins and the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Centers are within 75 miles. Click here to view 2014 Summit Health Annual Report.